SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#195726 - 12/14/05 10:32 AM "BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH" on the Tyros 2
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Last night while I was in the middle of performing, the music suddenly stopped, and the screen turned blue and said, "CRITICAL ERROR" and told me to restart the machine.

Thank G-d it wasn't during the dancing, but nevertheless I got a few strange looks.

Did anyone else have this problem?

I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary. I was just playing a regular style (not user) and hadn't pressed any buttons at the time of the error.

Chony

#195727 - 12/14/05 11:01 AM Re: "BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH" on the Tyros 2
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
Chony:

Is this a cliff hanger??

Did it reset??

pose

#195728 - 12/14/05 11:32 AM Re: "BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH" on the Tyros 2
quietDIN Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by chony:
Last night while I was in the middle of performing, the music suddenly stopped, and the screen turned blue and said, "CRITICAL ERROR" and told me to restart the machine.

Is Yamaha employing ex-Microsoft programmers?

--Barry

#195729 - 12/14/05 12:26 PM Re: "BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH" on the Tyros 2
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Chony
Every instrument these days runs some type of computer software, (Most being manufacture specific) so there is always the small chance of a crash.
One of the biggest threats however (And the cause of most system crashes) is a mains spike or surge, so make sure you use a surge suppresser between your keyboard and the mains plug.
Hope this helps.

Bill

#195730 - 12/14/05 02:48 PM Re: "BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH" on the Tyros 2
ccdmax Offline

Loc: South Jersey
Quote:
Originally posted by chony:

Thank G-d it wasn't during the dancing, but nevertheless I got a few strange looks.

Did anyone else have this problem?

I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary. I was just playing a regular style (not user) and hadn't pressed any buttons at the time of the error.

Chony

From a programmer's point of view, it could be your memory chips, if you have recently upgraded the memory sticks in your keyboard I would definatelly check them out.
(you can also try removing the chips and installing them again)

Remember, that even if your not using your upgraded memory, it is still part of the system and your keyboard will lockup if they won't communicate.

cheers,

ccdmax

------------------
Korg Triton Extreme, PA1X Pro, Yamaha PSR730 (for sale)
Click to visit my website

#195731 - 12/14/05 03:06 PM Re: "BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH" on the Tyros 2
chony Offline

Thanks everyone.
1 - Yes it did reset
2 - I was using a power conditioner so spiking wasn't the problem
3 - I have not installed any additional RAM.

;(

#195732 - 12/14/05 03:33 PM Re: "BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH" on the Tyros 2
Sander Offline

Loc: Hoogeveen, Drenthe, The Nether...
I don't have a T2, I still have a VA7. In rare occasions I've had a hang up as well - the sound in that case didn't stop: it sounded like it crashed. Very annoying 'digital' tones were then coming out.

The only solution was restarting the board, I've also tried reloading the firmware in it at that time. After that it happened only once. Next week I will have to play for about 7 hours, and I think it will go just fine...

I think you have done the right thing chony: just restart the thing and it should go well again.

It's a computer, that means per definition that it can crash...

#195733 - 12/14/05 04:17 PM Re: "BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH" on the Tyros 2
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
This is the time of the year where low humidity wreaks havoc with static electricity and electronic goods. Did you experience a shock perhaps?

My T2 has been rock solid so far only 1 gig.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#195734 - 12/14/05 10:54 PM Re: "BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH" on the Tyros 2
chony Offline

Although I realize the Ty2 is a computer, and is prone to crashes, I'm quite worried that I NEVER had this problem with my Ty1, and with the Ty2 I had it on the third performance. This in addition to other glitches like my registration user memory telling me that I'm out of memory when I'm clearly not...

#195735 - 12/15/05 01:27 AM Re: "BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH" on the Tyros 2
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
If the above incidents are characteristic of the T2, (I hope they aren't) then Yamaha has to worry about it.
A keyboard that's designed for professionals should run like "mission critical" software, on a fail safe basis. They have to expect it will be stressed when used.
Maybe it is just a faulty unit.

#195736 - 12/18/05 03:23 PM Re: "BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH" on the Tyros 2
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
There is word of an OS update in the near future for the T2. Hopefully the update will address this issue you are having.

When a brand new keyboard freezes suddenly like that it reminds me of Microsoft's often buggy software. And like Microsoft, Yamaha is shipping Keyboards (vs. Microsoft shipping 'software') that hasn't been really tested thoroughly in my opinion and unfortunately we the people are placed in the position of "beta tester" for their products. In other words: "the guinea pig". They ship them and we find out what's wrong with them in the mean time. And when enough glitches are found then Yamaha provides an OS update to address these various issues.

Reproducing these glitches in the 'laboratory' is key to finding the solution to the problem[s]. So giving as much info to Yammie as you can will hopefully expedite the process and also provide a solution that much quicker. Steve Deming Of Yamaha U.S. does read these posts and he is our link to Yamaha Headquarters in Japan where the majority of programmers reside and where the go ahead to produce the updates lies.

I for one hope Yamaha Japan is quick in its response to not only your problem but the the other problems being reported as well on the Tyros2 such as the Tyros2' LCD screen problem where some screens fade from side to side and some screens also have vertical white stripes not to mention the less than optimum viewability of the screen itself. Unfortunately the Tyros2' LCD screen problem most likely is a 'hardware' failure and NOT software related. And Yamaha's choice to replace faulty LCD screens on the Tyros2 with new ones (hopefully with a better technology - like the Tyros' ) may be a costly decision and one that Yamaha might not be willing to take. But if Yamaha is diligent in supporting their Flagship Arranger then I would assume they would find a better LCD screen (from a different Company with better technology) and quickly change out the LCD screens on current Tyros2's at the factory with the new ones and then proceed to ship the new product. And those of you who own a Tyros2 and have a faulty LCD screen i.e. (one with the vertical white stripes and fading from side to side as opposed to the ones with less than optimum viewability, seeing how that affects "every" Tyros2 out there apparently) that you would be freely compensated with the 'new' LCD screens at Yamaha's expense through an authorized Yamaha Service Center.

Best regards,
Mike

PS: Isn't it nice to be optimistic? But the ball lies in Yammies court. Will they return the volley or forfeit the game? It is their decision.

#195737 - 12/18/05 03:56 PM Re: "BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH" on the Tyros 2
Michael P. Bedesem Offline

Loc: Shrewsbury, VT
Chony:

I have used my T1, and now my T2, hard doing devlopement work on my programs and I have never seen this error. The only Blue Screen that I have seen reported was due to a faulty style and it occured on load.

The only other problem that I have seen (and others have reported) for the T2 is that starting Cakewalk will sometimes cause it to go to never-never land. I have no idea what causes this, but it does not disrupt the operating system, as evidenced by lack of the blue screen.

A Critical Error message is more than enough reason to call Customer Service. That is what they are there for, and I think you qualify.

Regards,

Michael

#195738 - 12/20/05 09:29 PM Re: "BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH" on the Tyros 2
chony Offline

I've been a bit busy lately, and haven't had any problems the last few days, but will deffinitely give customer service a call. Chony.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online